Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tolkien for Medicinal Purposes Forum Index -> LOTRO General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: New Level Boost Feature Incoming

Yea I get the feeling they are feeling the community out a bit. I can't find the official link from the devs for this info. So who knows. Does seem like a lot for a level 50. Its not getting a good reaction so I bet they re-adjust the price a bit.

Timofee
I'm coming up!

$50? Are they for real????

The One...The Only...

Official info on the instant level $50:

Gift of the Valar:

A set of level 50 gear
1 Gold piece
An LIXP rune, worth enough XP to bring one LI to level 10
4 ranks of each virtue
The Riding skill
A Dusky Nimblefoot Goat
A 25-stack of food that scales with your level
A 25-stack of Morale and Power potions that scale with your level
5 +100% XP Boosts
A single-use map to Rivendell
25 Mithril Coins

4995 TP or $50 USD

Timofee
I'm coming up!

Lol what a well written article!!!

Interesting and valid points but there are 2 sides to every coin

The One...The Only...

Well I guess it's not just us talking about it in here. Here is a post off of massively addressing the same topic. It's actually pretty good.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/the-soapbox-instant-leveling-and-the-whining-fringe/#continued

I think he hit the nail on the head with the fact that most instant characters are still 10 to 20 levels below the current max and any decent player could certainly learn said class in 10 - 20 levels. If not, an MMO might not be the place for them.

Timofee
I'm coming up!

Agreed. 

Other than the starting areas there aren't many options for different game play. Yes you can do Trollshaws or Everswim....Mirkwood or Enedwaith..... but in the long run the bulk of the game is unchanged. I don't know they can help that since they are following an existing story. 

But indeed. .. the idea if rolling another alt and having to go through Moria again is enough to make me want to *insert bad joke here*

Oh shit. ... get a toon at 50 and you all but START in Moria!!

The One...The Only...

I completely agree with your opinion with regards to most MMOs. A lot of them still push out new beginning zones, mid range content or content that everyone can enjoy. However with LOTRO, it seems the writings on the walls that from this point out they are worried about the end only and nothing more. Along with that and the reduction of skills, it is actually a good idea for those who want to just catch up and role with friends.

I'm like you were I research any class I play to the point of sickness. But I also avoid pugs with elitist assholes. 

Timofee
I'm coming up!

Having spoken with you about this I can understand.  You want to run with everyone but as a casual player it will take months to catch up. 

But...

Here's the thing.... is not up to me to decide how people play.  If they choose to skip content that's their decision.  Me? I enjoyed the journey through the game. Yes I race through on my alts I guess having already read the stories etc. 

What bothers me about this idea is you lose the true knowledge and play style that comes with knowing your class. You get a skill and for 2 levels you get to use it, know it and understand it before another comes your way. Sometimes it's a lot of figuring out each skill....especially if it's a chain skill. Its a lot harder to learn 20 skills at once, what each does, the effect they have on each other etc. 

You wind up with shit ton of people with capped toons that don't know jack about their class. 

Now. ... with that being said, i like to think I'm a decent player.  I research my classes and try my best but I'm no uber player.  People may very well run with me and think I don't know jack. Or the are people who can play for years and just never really get it. Yet, you can have someone walk in with a capped toon they never touched and play it phenomenally.  

I think with the reduction in the amount of skills we get will make it easier to learn new classes at high levels. 

My thought had been it would be cool to play a capped toon for a limited time to see if you liked the class enough to roll one.  

I feel kinda indifferent.  If I were a hardcore raiding leet mofo I'd be pissed knowing I was going to wind up in raid with lots of inexperienced noobs who aren't awesome like me

But I'm not

I run with kinnies who I love :)

The One...The Only...

Oddly enough there are more complaints about it being only to 50. Alot want to go to 80 to catch up to friends which I can agree with.

Timofee
I'm coming up!

LOL yes we were talking about this!! I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked and whats worse, I can only imagine the forum fodder this will be!!

The One...The Only...

It's kinda funny because we were just talking about this the other night.

http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/lord-of-the-rings-online-currently-testing-level-boost-feature/

Timofee
I'm coming up!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tolkien for Medicinal Purposes Forum Index -> LOTRO General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: